Friday, August 1, 2008

It's Back to School TIme

For the next few weeks, I am switching gears and focusing on the most important meal of the day, breakfast. Studies show students who eat a good, healthy breakfast get better grades at school. It's no wonder--young, growing bodies need complex carbs for energy and quality protein to keep going. Sugar on the other hand gives kids a hyper spike but leaves them down and tired by mid morning. 

The problem is getting breakfast ready. When you are busy getting the kids dressed and ready, breakfast seems like a bother. But it doesn't have to be. By planning ahead, you can get a quick breakfast to go without sacrificing time.

Some quick breakfast ideas include (try and keep all items organic--no one needs a bunch of chemicals first thing in the morning):

- multi-grain toast with peanut butter (natural) and a piece of seasonal fruit
-smoothies with a healthier muffin* (baked the night before)
- pre-cooked chicken sausage wrapped in a healthier pancake* (again made the night before) with some fresh fruit
- scrambled egg, cheese and spinach quickly broiled on a multi-grain muffin

The great thing about these ideas is kids can even eat them in the car and they are all better than stopping off for that pastry at the coffee shop on your way to school :)


 * Recipes for these items will be posted in the next few weeks!

-

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to tell you that I love your blog. I check it regularly, sometimes daily in my quext to feed my family healthy yummy food. We love the Morocaan Stew--I have shared your recipe with almost everyone I know :)
A long time ago you mentioned (on the Sunflower Playgroup) a yummy cooking that you made--maybe a pumpkin one-- I was wondering if you would share the recipe?? We tried Kale for the first time several months ago--thanks to you! Thank you.
Heather (Hex06)

Miss Lisa said...

Awwww...thank you so much!
I totally remember the sunflower group. I need to stop by--I'll try to get the pumpkin cookie recipe up later this month. I love it too :)
Way to go on kale--I love that stuff!

Jacque said...

I look forward to your breakfast and back to school recipes!