Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Let's Talk Bacon

Bacon is one of the most fattening things on the planet; that being said it is, let's face it, one of the tastiest things on the planet. I was a vegetarian for 6 six years (vegan for 1) and the one thing I missed, BACON. 

Sure there is turkey bacon, soy bacon but none can come close to the that sweet, salty, smokey, chewy, crispy bacon. It cannot be duplicated in my mind.

But can you be a healthy family and eat bacon?

This family does, about twice a month max. The guidelines for us--it's exactly 1/2 pound for all six of us and the bacon has to be top quality organic. A 1/2 pound keeps us from gorging ourselves, organic because lots of the hormones, etc. given to pigs reside in fat and bacon is pretty much all fat and top quality because I am not going to waste my rare bacon treat on the pre-packaged junk.

I have the two slice rule for myself and older kids. My kids under 5 have one slice, that I cut in half ;)

The good news is good bacon is not as expensive as you think. Fresh, smoked bacon at Whole Foods is $6.99 a pound--not terrible considering wild salmon can go up to $30 a pound. 

And bacon is more than just breakfast--think wrapped around fish or asparagus, chopped over a spinach salad or added to a soup.  The flavor adds so much to so many dishes--and a little goes a long way.

So go ahead and allow your kids some bacon--just remember moderation is the key :)




2 comments:

Brian and Staci said...

I'm with you! I love some bacon. I generally just don't buy it because it's just not a good thing for me to keep around. My youngest LOVES it! But I am going to give it a try and like you...only limit it to twice a month! Bacon sandwiches...love em!

david mcmahon said...

G'day from Australia. Nothing's better than the smell of bacon on a BBQ!