Friday, August 8, 2008

Italian Frittata

Frittatas are basically baked eggs. Below is one of my favorite frittata combinations but don't let it limit you. Try roasted red peppers, various herbs, cheeses and veggies.

These do take a bit of effort so you might want to reserve this breakfast when you have a little time. They are worth both the time and effort!

Italian Frittata

1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
12 eggs, beaten
few basil leaves, torn (and a couple more for garnish)
1/2 C sundried tomatoes packed in  olive oil, sliced
1/2 C goat cheese, crumbled
1/2 C baby spinach, torn

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add eggs and salt and pepper. Stir and pull egg mixture away from pan sides. After about 4 minutes, add remaining ingredients. Stir and remove from heat. 

Place in oven and cook 15 minutes. The center of the frittata should be set. Remove and allow to sit for ten minutes. Carefully slide a thin knife around the pan to loosen the frittata. Flip the pan over on a large plate. Slice the frittata in wedges and serve, garnished with fresh basil leaves.

2 comments:

Brian and Staci said...

I've always been a little intimidated by a frittata...don't know why??? Now...I have no excuses...I have to make it so I can report back to you! I'm so impressed with all your cooking knowledge! You are one smart girl! We are hopefully (crossing fingers and toes) getting a Whole Foods within the next 1 1/2 year. I cannot wait! Target is very limited on its "healthy" things...I was so excited to see King Arthur's stuff! Then I have to make a run to the health food store...I'll be so glad to do allll my shopping in ONE store!

Miss Lisa said...

Thanks!
I hope you get the WF soon--you'll love it :)