Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Steelhead Trout

Yep--back to fish! This time I am opting for something more in season. Wild Alaskan Salmon is only in season from May to June and the frozen King salmon is looking really pasty--I gave some the smell test this morning at our fish counter and I smelled not the ocean which I should smell or even fish which you never want to smell BUT nothing. It had been frozen for so long, flavor was disappearing. He commented we may want to wait or go for Atlantic salmon. I prefer to limit farmed or Atlantic salmon because those fish have higher mercury levels and I am feeding little ones. Soooo he suggested the steelhead trout which just came off the truck 1/2 an hour before fresh! The color was lovely, the smell crisp and salty so I brought it home. I found some great recipes and decided to go for this one, mix match of different stuff. (Jamie Oliver was once again the true inspiration :) from 'Cook with Jamie'--did I mention I love that book????)

Baked Steelhead Trout

4 6 oz. filets
olive oil
Zest of one lemon and its juice
bunch of parsley, diced
salt and pepper
fresh baby spinach

Turn on broiler. Place trout on aluminum foil, skin side down. Rub fish with olive oil and salt and pepper. Add lemon, juice and parsley on top. Broil fish at second rack away from heat for 5 minutes or less; careful not to burn parsley.
Turn heat down to 325 and place fish on bottom rack. Heat for approxiamtely 10 minutes or until cooked through.
While cooking, place baby spinach on plates (squeeze a bit of lemon juice over leaves).
Serve fish (be sure to remove skin!) on top of spinach; the spinach will wilt slightly.

2 comments:

Karen said...

This was a great recipe, thanks for sharing!!!

Anonymous said...

I just found this (I know it's two-and-a-half years old) and I think it will be a very useful recipe. My (almost) 11 month old daughter will not eat any sort of beef or poultry, but on a whim I gave her some steelhead, after quickly getting the okay from Mr. Google, of course. She scarfed it messily but with a huge grin that is not normally present at mealtime. I made it with garlic powder, a pinch of salt, 1/4c of butter sliced, and one orange slice; baked it in a loaf pan at 350°F for 30 minutes. I usually eat steelhead as opposed to salmon because it is generally cheaper and tastes the same (sometimes I don't even bother looking). I did have salmon the following week and offered her some, and she liked it just as much. I appreciate your posting this very kid-friendly recipe, and I will have to try it in another week or so. Thanks!