Thursday, January 3, 2008

Dinner Experiment #473

The original plan was quesadillas and halfway through cooking the chicken, I discovered I didn't have enough monteray jack so I decided to switch gears and make enchilladas with the chicken but the baby woke up and wanted me right then so I never had time to make the sauce. I decided to take the chicken and the liquid it was cooking in and make it into a sauce over whole wheat pasta garnished with the small amount of monteray jack I had left. The kids loved it and my oldest asked me to make it again. Moral of the story--no recipe is ever set in stone, tweak to fit your needs and if it turns out to be a disaster, you can get a fresh pizza in about 30 minutes :)

Mexican Spaghetti:

1 tsp. olive oil
1 clove garlic, diced
3 C Shredded chicken (pref. leftovers from a plain rotessori)
2 tsp. Hungarian paprika
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregnao
Pinch a red pepper
salt and pepper
1 26 oz can diced tomatoes plus juice
1 small can Hatch green chilis
1/2 lb whole wheat pasta
monteray jack (amount based on taste)

In a large saute pan, saute garlic in olive oil (don't let brown). Add the chicken and spices and saute for about 5-10 minutes or until everything is well blended and cooked. Add tomatoes and chilis; bring to a boil and then lower to a simmer.
Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook spaghetti until al dente (slight crunch). Drain pasta.
Plate pasta followed by a laddle of the 'sauce' and garnish with monteray jack; make sure it melts!
Serve with a very basic spinach salad.

Enjoy!

No comments: