Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Salmon with Pesto Pasta

We still have a good few weeks of wild, fresh salmon available. I like to make this recipe with salmon and I buy and freeze later because texture and appearance is not as crucial. However, my girls love and I mean love this dish. My oldest wants it every year for her birthday and it is a sure fire hit for anyone who comes over--who I ask you does not love pasta?!

It's also a snap to make if you have some leftover pesto (jarred pesto is OK too).

Salmon with Pesto Pasta

1 1b. wild salmon
1 box angel hair pasta nests
1/2 C pesto
olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Season salmon (skin on OK) and rub 2 tablespoons pesto on top. Fold up in parchment paper, sealing edges. Place on cooking sheet and bake 9-11 minutes (remember the fish should flake easily when done and should be a nice pink).

While cooking, boil water. Season with salt and add angel hair. Cook based on package instructions (mine is two minutes). In a large bowl, add pesto. When pasta is complete, drain and add to bowl with pesto. Quickly mix (if any sticks, add some olive oil).

Remove salmon from the oven. Carefully unwrap (lots of steam escapes from the paper so be careful). Using a fork, shred small pieces and add to the pasta until you have added the entire fish.

Serve immediately (And because it is fish, left overs are not OK. Fish has a very quick shelf-life and can go bad quickly.). 

3 comments:

EatPlayLove said...

Sounds delicious and it just so happens I have WILD salmon on my brain! Love this site.

Brian and Staci said...

I'm not a huge salmon person but my sweet husband is...I'm trying! I made some salmon patties the other night that weren't half bad :) So, I'm gonna give this a whirl! I've been wanting to make my own pesto...this is a perfect use for is :) I'm soooo jealous your kids will eat this!!

Jennifer S said...

This sounds really yummy. Might have to try this out on the kids.