Monday, May 26, 2008

French Toast with Berries

I love cooking breakfast. It is truly one of my favorite meals to cook (yes, I am a morning person). When summer hits, I love being able to slow down and cook a nice breakfast we can all enjoy together as a family. Our stand by is french toast--I cook it on a non-stick griddle to avoid having to coat the pan in butter. Please adjust the ingredients to your taste (some like theirs with more milk, some more egg) but please I beg you, use real maple syrup. The fake stuff is usually just high fructose corn syrup with artificial food coloring--a terrible way to start the day. You also do not need as much maple syrup as the fake stuff so a bottle will last much longer than you think!

*Note I love to double this recipe and save some for another morning. The bread keeps a few days in the refrigerator and you can also freeze it--be warned it is not as good as fresh but is very handy when you have a hectic morning.

French Toast with Berries

8 slices whole grain bread
5 eggs
1/2 C fat free milk
1 tbsp vanilla extract (the real thing :) )
1 tsp cinnamon
Fresh seasonal fruit (strawberries are perfect for now)
Real maple syrup


Preheat your griddle. In a large bowl, whisk eggs and slowly pour in milk while whisking. Once combined, whisk in vanilla and cinnamon.
Submerge bread slice by slice and, using your fingers, push off excess. Place on griddle and turn once bottom side is slightly brown. The second side cooks quicker. Once it is slightly brown, remove from griddle.

Top with maple syrup and fresh berries.


2 comments:

Jacque said...

French toast is one of my favorites!

Anonymous said...

You'd be proud. I ended up making breakfast for dinner tonight. Of course, it was because my first meal was a disaster.