Sunday, April 20, 2008

Cincinnati Style Chili

Throughout the country, there are lots of types of chili. My personal favorite (and this could have something to do with my childhood in the state of Ohio) is a Cincinnati Style Chili. What makes this chili different is that the beans are served on top (with a mound of finely shredded cheddar cheese) and served over some spaghetti noodles--oh and unsweetened chocolate is in the sauce! This chili was made popular by Skyline Chili; an absolute greasy spoon with the best chili ever! They have a secret ingredient in their chili I have tried to discover through lots of hits and misses. I have found using Hungarian Paprika and a touch of five-spice (Chinese herb) helps recreate the Skyline taste--not exact but still very yummy.  I have also included the beans in the actual chili because my kids really love beans (I have even added an extra can). The very high fat unsweetened chocolate has been replaced with dutch processed unsweetened cocoa (no fat, all flavor). If you cannot get dutch processed cocoa, don't worry--just make sure it is UNSWEETENED! This is one of those recipes that showcases the savory side of the cocoa bean--not its sweetness.
As you might guess, this is a recipe I have been tweaking and changing for years and I am sure if I share this recipe next year, it will still be different. Be sure to take several tastes during the cooking process, and if you find something that you think really adds to the dish (or you know Skyline's secret ingredient) leave a comment. (If you make this meal, I'd love to hear from you too--this chili is one of my culinary babies!)
Enjoy--this is my younger daughter's favorite meal!

Cincinnati Style Chili

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb. lean ground beef (or 1 package Bocca crumbles/ Morning Star Crumbles works too)
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
1/2 yellow onion, diced (light a candle by your cutting board to 'cut' down on tears)
2 28 oz. cans diced tomatoes
2 14 oz. cans tomato sauce
1 tbsp. Hungarian paprika
1 tbsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. basil
1/2 tsp. Chinese five-spice (taste with 1/4 and add more as needed)
1 tsp. garlic powder
salt and pepper
1 can kidney beans
2 to 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1 lb. spaghetti (whole wheat works well here)
Freshly grated cheddar cheese 

Heat olive oil in large sauce pan over medium high heat. If using ground beef, brown beef and quickly rinse in strainer to 'wash away' fat. Set aside. Add the green pepper, onion and garlic and cook until soft (about 4-6 minutes). If using 'fake' meat' saute veggies and garlic until soft. Add the Bocca or Morning Star 'meat' and touch of olive oil. Heat until cooked.
*Once the meat and veggies are cooked, add the dry spices (except the cocoa) and saute for 1-2 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes and sauce. Stir and bring to a boil. Turn heat to low and simmer for 1-2 hours (very low if you need it to sit longer). During this time, stir and taste occasionally adding spices where needed (I am usually adding more cinnamon and paprika). 
Bring the chili to a medium low heat. Stir in the cocoa,  and if you'd like to add the beans before, this is is good time (if not cook beans in separate pot to serve alongside chili). 
Allow to cook for an additional 1/2 hour to an hour.
Boil spaghetti to al dente.
To serve, get some big bowls, spaghetti in bowl and ladle chili over the noodles. Follow with beans (if not already added) and cheddar cheese.
Skyline serves these with oyster crackers if you want the whole experience:)

Enjoy!
* Note-At this point, you can transfer everything to a crock pot.

3 comments:

Jennifer S said...

That sounds so good. I might try this recipe this week. And, I always like chili better with beans. Yum!

Brian and Staci said...

Wow! You are really something! I'm so very impressed! I love chili but prefer it in the Winter. My kids love beans too! I'm putting this on my list to make! Can't wait!

virginia said...

This looks great.I will definately have to make this.We are chili lovers.